Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Six Years Later -----> Heaven Rejoices Over One :-)

This morning I was digging through an old email address for the password to one of my vegan cooking sites. I typed in the words vegweb and and old correspondence from me (Ashley) to Racquel popped up. I'd sent her a link to www.vegweb.com and was encouraging her to become a new convert and join all the meat free fun. As you'll read, she wasn't too psyched about it. By this time, I had been a vegetarian for a little over a year and hadn't yet become a vegan (for the first time) but I was sticking to my guns! I thought this would be fun to share since now-a-days (SIX YEARS LATER) she's just as passionate about her plant-based diet as I am. Enjoy!


From Racquel:
HEY SWEETIE PIE,

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE "SOUTH BEACH DIET" I WANT TO TRY IT.


From Ashley: Well, I can say that it is similar to the Atkins diet. As fair warning, any diet that is high in animal protien will cause your bones to secrete significant amouts of calcium, which is a vital nutrient especially in women (active women). Also the low carb thing will cause you to become sluggish because of the lack of complex carbohydrates which are vital to proper brain function. What you really need to do is become mindful of how much animal protein you eat on a regular basis. I am not just saying this because of my lifestyle, but because it is true. I am also not saying this because I want you to bannish meat from your diet - that was a choice that I made for myself! When consuming animal products you are not just eating your calories but whatever calories that animal ate as well. You have to work just as hard to get that burned off of your body. Animal protein can have abverse affects on the digestive system, the bones, and the waistline! Think about it and hit me back!

~Dr. Mac, MD

From Racquel: YOU AND YOUR FREAK'N PREACH'N FROM THE VEGAN BIBLE.  Upgrade your email with 1000's of emoticon iconsI GOTTA START SLOW POSSIBLY WITH EATING JUST VEGGIES LIKE YOU DID FOR ABOUT A YEAR.  YOU BETTER MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE GETTING PROPER PROTEIN GIRL.  HIT ME UP!!!!

From Ashley: Protein, protein - you meat eaters, I tell ya! Of course we get adequate amounts of protein and I'll tell ya how. First through fortified soy milk, which also supplies tons of calcium. Beans and legumes are rich in good protein without all of the fat and still giving a rich meaty flavor. Protein is found in adequate amounts in most plant foods - it's low in fruit, potatoes, and rice, but extremely high in those beans! I am going to prove to you that animals aren't the only source of adequate protein. Girl, you know that I don't jump into anything without researching it first. I am also doubling up on vital vitamins and minerals that most flesh eaters lack because my diet is plant centered and not meat centered. Meat supplies absolutely no fiber and no vitamins or minerals - if there are they are from what the now dead animal ate. The fiber that I get daily helps keep my bowels clean and running smoothly! Hit me back!
~Mac

From Racquel: heehehehe!  Do you think that less meat would help my sore knees now that I am playing ball again my knees always ache.  uhmmmm....guess what I am eating pasta Italiano soup it is wonderful and no meat.  ooh, you need to go to Kroger they have a wonderful vegan/veggie isle you'd love it...expensive but you'd love it.

From Ashley Restricting meat from your diet and eating only in moderation may result in relief for your soar joints. Also light yoga (seriously) will work wonders for sore joints causing them to work from a different range of motion and increasing flexibility! Either way you are bound to make those joints feel better. If you don't act soon you may have worse damage as you get older! THink about it and hit me back!

~Mac

From Racquel: YOU REALLY THINK YOU ARE A DR. SERIOUSLY THOUGH ALL OF THE ADVISE SOUNDS GREAT.  I WILL TAKE HEED.  WHEN I GET SOME MORE MONEY I AM GOING TO BUY AN ARRAY OF VEGGIES, AND NOW THAT THE WEATHER IS BREAKING I CAN GRILL THEM EGGPLANT, MUSHROOMS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI,SNOW PEAS, ETC. I LIKE VEGGIES, THERE JUST ISN'T A WHOLE LOT TO DO WITH THEM.  MAYBE I WILL THUMB THROUGH MY VEGGIE COOK BOOK.

From Ashley: All of these sites offer great veggie recipes from salads to pasta! I know you will find something! GIve it shot - I think you are way too afraid to not eat meat. Imagine how good you will feel. Side note - meat is higher in fat than veggies (dug) but the fiber in the veggies (the fiber that ALL meat lacks) will cause you to eat much more while feeling full much faster. Fat does not fill you up nearly as fast as good wholesome fiber!


If you read this far, I decided to give you a little bonus and share the sites I shared with Racquel all those YEARS ago :-) 


Thanks for reading!

Keep JoOcing and RAWk On!

Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment